Persuasive writing can be defined as a creative essay designed to convince the reader that his/her point of view is right. Persuasive essay is very similar to argumentative, as it utilizes logic and reason to prove that one idea is more legitimate than another idea.
The common structure of the persuasive essay:
1. Title should be straightforward. The writer presents the topic he/she is writing about.
Tips: It is better to be a little descriptive in this part and give a brief overview of what will be discussed in the body.
2. Thesis Statement should tell about what the writer is trying to convince his readers of. Tips:
-make the thesis statement a little bitcontroversial in order to involve the reader emotionally.
- do not take an extremist point of view, as you may risk alienating your audience
3. Supporting Paragraphs make the main part of the essay. Tips:
- write minimum three supporting paragraphs.
- start each paragraph of this part with a statement that supports your main thesis.
- give facts or testimonials from well known sources (a fact is not debatable)
-give your emotional interpretations of these facts to convince the audience.
4. Conclusion is the last part of a persuasive essay. It sounds like a call to action and reminds the audience of what the essay thesis is, together with supporting facts.
In this type of essay the writer shows his/her creativity, expressing his/her personal point of view on a particular situation or issue. It describes the imagination of the writer and suggests a new, subjective opinion about something and may have a philosophical, historical, biographical, journalistic, literary criticism, popular science, fictional or other character.
The creative essay contains:
- a clear statement of the given problem;
-a personal analysis of the problem using the concepts and analytical tools within the observed discipline(philosophy, history, etc.);
-the conclusions that generalize the author's position concerning the issue.
The primary purpose of an informal essay is to entertain (e.g. a humorous newspaper essay)
The main features:
- restricted by structural conformities4
-more personal in both approach and expression
- maintains direction and clarity
- has short, punchy, entertaining paragraphs
- has a punning, alliterative and/or amusing headline
Tips: write personally and coherently whilst maintaining the aim to entertain, persuade and inform your reader